Sitting on the hill at NHI is the beautiful Schawe Mansion. Built in 1903 by a German family, this 6,000 square foot structure is solid wood imported from Belgium and England. The intricate wood finish is hand-carved throughout the first floor, and nature did a beautiful job of aging swirling patterns with color variations throughout. Inside are 12-foot ceilings, chandeliers, and beautiful banisters. Two fireplaces provide a cozy space for social gatherings. The upstairs hosts NHI archives and provides additional meeting space for programs. This structure, due to its age and the tough Texas elements, is always a work in progress. Projects underway include the replacement of its roof, new plumbing, and new electrical wiring. NHI is accepting donations to raise $60,000 for repairs and some upgrades.